Why are women so negative about the "picking up women" school of thought?
Reply by: Gayle Laakmann McDowell (edited)
Most people who attend pick up classes are just awkward, nerdy guys who just want a girlfriend. But the classes are about getting laid.
They teach you how to pick up girls in bars. How many relationships do you know of that started in bars? If you want a girlfriend, sign up for an online dating site. Start dating! Statistically speaking, bars don't work.
- They were telling guys things like:
- Touch a girl when she talks to you.
- Criticize a girl (sorry, I mean "neg").
- When a girl seems uninterested, she's just playing games.
- Don't talk about "real" topics, like education and your job. They're too "boring".
- No woman is out of your league.
Touching can be creepy when the touching isn't natural.
And when you're telling an awkward, nerdy guy who has no idea how to flirt "okay, now, touch a girl here," it's almost always creepy.
(Personally, I don't like random guys at bars touching me. It makes me really uncomfortable.)