Someone asked me to give him the basics of the recruiting business. I sent him this brief introduction. What have I missed. Or did I get something wrong?
There are three aspects to recruiting
1. Getting the business (jobs to fill)
2. Sourcing (identifying people) online or by phone
3. Recruiting (selling them on the job and selling the client on the person)
The people who bring in the business make the most money. But finding the people is just as hard.
There are two kinds of firms
2. Retained Search
And there are different ways to approach the business
1. Industry focussed (focus on a specific industry)
2. Job focussed (just sales people)
If you work for a firm it works a lot like the real estate business. The firm takes half of the fee. The person who brought in the order takes 25% and the person who supplied the candidate takes 25%.
The best place online to find out about recruiting is www.ere.net
Go there. Register. Join some of the discussion groups and ask your questions there too. There are many friendly and helpful people.